When travelers think of their ultimate beach vacation it begins and ends with one thing: the beach. Yes, certainly other considerations are vastly important—such as clear, calm waters, an abundance of available watersports, and even the deliverability of delicious cocktails to your chaise lounge, but really, that slice of oceanside, warm, silky soft coastline reigns king.
Perhaps that why when Travel and Leisure Magazine recently cultivated their ‘18 Best Beaches in Hawaii’ guide, we were so honored to receive not one, but two spots on this exclusive list (although we must admit, it’s not difficult to see why…).
Mauna Kea Resort is home to two of Hawaii’s most pristine beaches: Mauna Kea Beach (officially named Kauna’oa Bay) and Hapuna Beach (officially named Hapuna State Beach). Set along the Kohala Coast, these exquisite beaches are an easy walk from one another along the delightful Ala Kahakai Trail, and from The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel and Westin Hapuna Beach Resort. They are, debatably, the most cherished amenities guests appreciate during a Big Island holiday, and the reasons are many:
- White sand. It’s a rarity on Hawaii and yet both beaches have wonderful, sprawling stretches of it—perfect for a hand-in-hand sunset stroll, the childhood thrill of ‘shelling’ or sunbathing on the hotel’s guest-provided lounge chairs.
- Family fun. With pleasantly tranquil, clear waters and low surf, Mauna Kea Beach and HapunaBeach invite ocean lovers of all ages into her waters. Snorkeling is a top activity, especially with an abundance of harmless manta rays and sea turtles, and around Mauna Kea’s two small coral reefs. Or, visit the Beach Club and explore equipment rentals and lessons for all your favorite pursuits, including:
- Stand-up paddleboards (SUP)
- Surf and boogie board
- Snorkeling equipment and adventure by canoe
- Sailing canoe adventure
- 1- and 2-person kayaks
- Laser sailboat
- Prone boards
There are also scheduled Hawaiian throw net demonstrations, fish feeding, and bamboo pole fishing.
- Savory, seaside food and drink. When all of this recreation and relaxation works up your appetite or thirst, stop by Hau Tree (pictured above). This quaint, tiki-style bar serves fresh salads, smoothies, sashimi, bowls, burgers, and tacos, plus local brews, wines, and the ultimate island cocktails. Must-tries are the signature Federico and Ovaltine Froth.
Both beaches are surrounded by lush, tropical foliage and expansive lawns, adding to the feelings of privacy and serenity.
Experience Mauna Kea and Hapuna Beaches for yourself by reserving a stay with Mauna Kea Residences. With two to five-bedroom luxury, oceanfront, and ocean view vacation rentals, you’ll enjoy features like a full kitchen, multi-bedrooms, a home office, lanai, and BBQ, coupled with access to world-class beaches, two championship golf courses, an oceanside Tennis Club, swimming pools, hot tubs, bocce ball courts, 12 restaurants and lounges (with legacy events such as The Mauna Kea Lu’au, Sunday Brunch at Manta and Clambake), Mauna Kea Spa by Mandara, fitness centers, group exercise classes and more.
Visit maunakearesidences.com to learn more and view our portfolio of condominiums and private estate homes, suitable for every traveler, and every budget. You can also call one of our reservationists who will help craft your ultimate Big Island getaway, with supreme knowledge and an unmistakable spirit of aloha: 888.906.2139